In-chair teeth whitening is a non-invasive dental treatment that lifts stains from the pores of teeth and lightens the colour of natural tooth enamel, leading to the appearance of whiter, brighter teeth.
In-chair whitening is the quickest dental solution for whitening teeth and removing or reducing stains and discolouration. It typically involves the application of whitening product directly onto the teeth and the use of heat, a special light or laser to activate and/or accelerate the whitening agent.
Results are typically achieved within one 30-60 minute dental appointment.
When is in-chair teeth whitening used?
In-chair teeth whitening is an ideal solution for people wanting instant results. It is an appropriate treatment for people with wear to the outer tooth layer (enamel) or extrinsic stains on the teeth of a yellow, brown appearance, typically caused by smoking or the consumption of coffee, wine and cola, and some foods.
What are the benefits of in-chair teeth whitening?
There are several advantages:
- Dentists typically use whitening products that contain stronger concentrations of hydrogen peroxide compared with off-the-shelf or take-home products and this ensures results within one 30-60 minute dental treatment.
- Dentists apply the whitening agent directly to the teeth so that the use of mouth trays, such as those provided in take-home and off-the-shelf whitening kits, is unnecessary.
- Dentists supervise the treatment and can control the amount of whitening that occurs.
- Dentists typically use a rubber shield to protect the gums from the whitening product.
- Dentists can better match the types of stains with the best treatments, leading to better results.
Teeth whitening is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Teeth whitening is not permanent and the degree of whiteness will vary from individual to individual depending on the condition of the teeth and the type of whitening system used.
Teeth whitening will only work on natural teeth and extrinsic stains. The initial appointment with our dentist will confirm your suitability for in-chair teeth whitening.