Rising in popularity for their strength, appearance and durability, dental implants are designed to last for up to twenty years, however as with anything, they do require care and maintenance to ensure that they remain looking their best and lasting as long as they should. At Elysian Dental, we are the leading choice for dental implants Byford and Armadale locals trust. Let’s take a look at how to care for your dental implants.
After your dental implant surgery has been completed, you will have to follow several steps to ensure that the implant has the best possible chance of succeeding. Following your dentist’s instructions will ensure that there are no complications that could possibly affect your health or the health of your mouth. Usually, your dentist will instruct you to use a prescribed mouthwash, and maintain a regimented brushing routine.
The 3 Months After Surgery
It can take dental implants three months to completely integrate with your jaw and fuse properly to the bone. During this period of time you will need to be extremely careful. Similar to having braces, you will need to avoid most sweets and hard foods, including nuts and even apples. Your dentist will schedule a follow up appointment after three months, this appointment will be to measure the progress of your dental implant and assess the condition of your oral hygiene to ensure that there are no issues. During your appointment, your dentist will provide a customised ongoing care plan for your dental implants.
The daily care of dental implants is very similar to the care of natural teeth. Dental implants should be kept clean and plaque free twice a day using a brush and floss. Cleaning is especially important after meals.
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush or electric brush. Avoid brushing too hard – take your time brushing slowly and gently. You should spend at least two minutes brushing your teeth.
- Use low-abrasive, tartar-control toothpaste so that you don’t damage the implant.
- Flossing is important whether you have dental implants or not. Make sure that you use dental floss to clean around the implants.
- Use an anti-microbial mouth rinse to ensure that all food particles and bacteria are washed out from around the implant.
- Consider disclosing tablets, these will stain the areas where plaque has accumulated, thereby making it easier to see where you need to clean.
You must be committed not only to daily performance of dental hygiene at home, but to regular visits to your dentist. It is recommended that you see your dentist every 3 to 6 months for a professional exam and cleaning. The dental implants should be examined with an x-ray annually.
The various stages of care of your dental implants are important and can mean the difference between a poor implant and a successful one. If you stick to the care instructions provided and communicate any of your problems with your dentist, your dental implant should successfully last you for up to twenty years.
If you want to find out more about dental implants and how they can benefit you, get in touch with the team at Elysian Dental today. Located in Armadale, we service clients from all over Perth including Byford and surrounds. Make an appointment online or call us on (08) 6396 2116 .